WASHINGTON — The attention-hungry couple that crashed the Obama administration’s first state dinner admitted to a friendly Pentagon official that they went without a confirmed invitation — just in case they got approved at the last minute.Tareq and Michaele Salahi claimed a dead cell phone battery prevented them from hearing a voicemail earlier that day advising them they did not make the guest list.
The Salahis gave that account in an e-mail sent just hours after last week’s dinner to Pentagon official Michele Jones, who had tried to get them invited. A collection of e-mails between the Salahis and Jones was obtained Tuesday night by The Associated Press from a source who got them in manner that confirmed their authenticity.
Tareq & Michaele at the White House State Dinner
Vice President Biden & Michaele!
The White House Marines welcome Michaele to the State Dinner
Tareq, Vice President Biden & Michaele
AR Rahman ( who sings JAI HO from Slum Dog Millionaire) & Michaele & Tareq Salahi
President of Pepsi World Wide Indra Nooyi with Michaele..
President Barack Obama greets Michaele and Tareq Salahi during a receiving line in the Blue Room of the White House before the State Dinner with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of India.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has called the Naxals’ the most potent threat to internal security and it seems the militia is living up to that billing. On Wednesday (June 10), 11 policemen were martyred in the deadliest Naxalite attack in the West Singbhum district of Jharkhand ever. TIMES NOW has access to exclusive pictures from Jharkhand, where the attack took place.
11 policemen, including a CRPF Inspector, were killed and 6 others injured when Maoists targeted their vehicle with a landmine in naxal-hit West Singhbhum district. A joint team of CRPF and local police was returning from a 2-day long-range patrolling when the explosion took place at Chaibasa town near Jamshedpur. Yesterday’s landmine explosion was the fourth major Naxal-related incident in West Singhbhum district since 2002
The Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi called DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday to stop him leaving Delhi in a huff with his MPs ahead of the swearing in. A day before Manmohan Singh’s new government is sworn in talks between the Congress and its key allies have broken down. The DMK has decided to support the UPA government from outside after the Congress refused to accept its demand for nine ministerial berths including plum Cabinet posts like Railways, Telecom & IT, Power, Surface Transport and Health.
The DMK with 18 MPs, the third largest constituent in the UPA coalition, wanted nine ministries while the Congress was willing to give only seven. “The Congress formula is not acceptable to us”, DMK leader T R Baalu told reporters after talks between the two sides. Baalu announced the breakdown of talks after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called up DMK chief M Karunanidhi who conveyed his rejection of the Congress proposal. How ever Congress has said that everything is still a part of the discussion process and nothing untoward is going to happen.
Congress was ready for status quo in DMK’s ministries. It was also ready to release telecom ministry to DMK, which earlier it did not want to give it to its southern ally. DMK chief Karunanidhi’s son M K Azhagiri, his grand nephew Dayanidhi Maran and T R Baalu are among the Cabinet probables from the party while his daughter Kanimozhi is among the likely candidates for the MoS slot. Other UPA ally Trinamool Congress was also doing hard negotiations to get plum portfolios as Manmohan Singh gets ready to be sworn in on Friday for a second consecutive term as Prime Minister.
However, among the ‘big four’ portfolios Finance is likely to go to Pranab Mukherjee, while Home and Defence would be retained by P Chidambaram and A K Antony. There is no finality about who will bag External Affairs for which names of Kamal Nath and Kapil Sibal are doing the rounds. A scheduled meeting of the Prime Minister with President Pratibha Patil on Thursday morning, which was later put off, fuelled speculation that there could be a deadlock over ministry formation. But sources said that the meeting had nothing to do with government formation.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee held third round of talks with Congress leaders but dismissed suggestions that she was bargaining hard for key ministries.
“There is no talk of bargaining (for ministerial posts). …. We have not discussed this. What they (Congress) want, they will do. Even if they don’t give us anything, we don’t mind,” Banerjee told reporters.
However, sources said the party is keen on Railways, Coal and Mines and Steel portfolios which, it feels, are critical to West Bengal economy. It was also eyeing the portfolios of Health and Home Affairs at the Minister of State level. Both Dinesh Trivedi and Mukul Roy are the front-
for Cabinet positions from the Trinamool Congress. The party is understood to be expecting at least two berths in Union Cabinet and three Ministers of State. While the Congress had suggested that the ministry formation could be done in two phases, the allies insisted that the exercise be completed in one go